Thursday, October 06, 2005

And then there were three...

Last week I made the tough decision that I could not keep Banana, the cat I'd been fostering. (That's right, ACW, another post about my cats.)

I'd been wishy washy about whether or not to keep her since the beginning. She is V. sweet and oh so cute and cuddley ... she just didn't interact well with my two older cats, Cairo (4) and Quirk (3). But I thought there was hope because Banana and the kitten, Luna, got along okay.

Then, Thursday night, as LISBF and I lay down in bed. I thought my pillow felt suspiciously damp.

LCN, lying there with face on damp pillow: Um, I think my pillow might be damp.

LISBF: Damp? Like with cat piss?

LCN: Yeah. I think maybe so. Will you smell it for me?

LISBF: Put it in front of my face.

This would be one of those times where my deficient olfactory senses come in handy. I was laying my head on a pillow soaked with cat piss, and I couldn't smell it. Once I got up and turned on the light, it was obviously wet and extremely disgusting.

I don't think it was Banana, I suspect it was Cairo or Quirkie. They had had enough and wanted to make sure I got the message. Banana had to go.

So even though I'd only had Banana for two months, I balled like a baby when I brought her down to the Humane Society. I'd spared her life. I'd nursed her to health. I'd gotten her through surgery, cleaned her goopy ear out twice daily, listened to her whining in heat for weeks, taken her to weekly doctor's appointments ... and now it felt like abandonment.

Fortunately, M1's co-worker who intervened and helped us save Banana in the first place, took her in as a foster so she'd stay in the program.

I learned yesterday that said Banana didn't even last the weekend at her house. She terrorized the other animals, and they also showed their anger with urine.

So now she's in another foster home where she's the only cat around. And Cairo and Quirkie are noticeably less stressed.

As LISBF said, now all I have to do is get rid of the little gray one, and everything will be back to normal.

9 Comments:

At Fri Oct 07, 05:53:00 AM, Blogger Windigo said...

I'm thinking of getting another cat to keep Cosmic company so my house isn't destroyed every day when I get home from work. I had thoughts of getting rid of him, and it was kind of sad, so I decided to stick it out.

Anger with urine - sounds like a bad night of bar hopping.

 
At Fri Oct 07, 09:09:00 AM, Blogger AnonymousCoworker said...

ACWF's parent's had 8 cats, and one was an adoptee named Squeaky. He hated all of them, and they all hated him. Eventually, he ended up in a house of his own, and we hear that he's just a darling. Sometimes, cats just need their space.

 
At Fri Oct 07, 10:44:00 AM, Blogger darth said...

i love how pets like to "send us messages" when they have something to say - my dog :sausagedog: will usually start stealing and chewing up shoes to get our attention.

 
At Sat Oct 08, 01:11:00 AM, Blogger FreedomGirl said...

At least you could throw out the pillow...could've been the matress. Our cat peed on our matress when we brought a puppy home. She was pissed. Literally.

 
At Sat Oct 08, 01:12:00 AM, Blogger FreedomGirl said...

*thats mattress...I can't believe I did that twice. D'oh!

 
At Fri Nov 18, 02:04:00 PM, Anonymous pet urine cleaner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tue Nov 22, 09:33:00 PM, Anonymous cat urine cleaner said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Wed Feb 07, 03:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. comment guerir un eczema Buspar buy online Public health care surveillance Nursing bra online information Callcenter main application pl Looking for stuff about plastic surgeon braided area rugs buspar mingus success stories tenuate car insurance Liposuction risk mg &aposs of buspar Ramshead seat covers

 
At Wed Mar 14, 03:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home